Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Queer Artist Centerfold: Drew Mason

Name: Andrew Michael Mason

Stage Name: Drew Mason

Contact info:
http://www.reverbnation.com/drewmason

Birthplace:
Omaha Nebraska, but raised in Houston Tx.

Zodiac sign: Capricorn

Your medium/genre: Hip Hop, Rap

Describe what you do:
I am a recording artist, that is drawn through the medium of rapping, to express myself in performance, writing and recording

Turn on’s:
Very talented vocalists, a well written song, a hot bed of music, masculine men, great photographs, usually art in general (all kinds) streets pieces, documentaries, poetry, live performances, beautiful days, great energy, inspiring people, spiritual books and audio, a sense of connection to this universe and nature

Turn off’s:
Thief's, shallow people, back stabbers, greedy people, users, fake people, two faced people, people who play games, manipulators

Describe your perfect date:
A successful clean cut man in a beautiful vehicle calls me to tell me he is out front. I go downstairs to see him, he has a rose for me and opens the door for me to get in. He gives me a big kiss and hug and says its great to see you. I reply the same. We travel to fine Italian dinning in the area. Then travel to the Lakers game to sit court side. We crack jokes and watch the game intently holding hands, smiling, with the occasional kiss. After the game we take our pets for a walk in the neighborhood, enjoying the night stars and peacefulness of the city, Then we clean up for bed in a hot shower then snuggle in watching a great documentary on netflix.

Pet peeves:
In the moment of writing a song, getting into a place where im worried what is the listener going to think, or is the song good enough, instead of just letting the energy flow.

Fave sex idol: Gerard Butler

1ST crush: Jean claude van damme

Fave music: I love all kinds of music

Top movies that inspire you: I'm really big into documentaries

Fave quote: I think therefore I am

Reading List:
Power of intention, The present, Alchemist, 7 habits of highly effective people, The power of now

One of your obsessions: Daddies

Influences/mentors/heroes: Michael Jackson, Tupac, Bob Marley

Fave queer Artist(s): Adam Lambert

Fave queer from history:
Politician Harvey Milk and Documentary Film maker Robert Hudson

Most Pivotal Performance/event/etc:
Performing at Outhiphop.com's artist night in Hollywood

Fave performance experience:
Performing at Mj's in Silverlake to a sold out club

Most frightening performance experience: Las Vegas Pride

Places performed:
All over in the state of California, done shows in chicago, wisconsin and new york

Education:
High school graduate, Associates degree from the madison media intitute

Awards/Grants/Honors:
Presented, by the major and city of west hollywood the- Paule Starke Warrior Award

What do you (does your art) stand for:
My art really stands for a place for me to be creative a place where i can escape and dig into myself also to vent and release emotions and angst a place where i can tell stories or at least try to, a place where i can be sexual strong assertive, passionate aggressive, crazy, powerful, the freedom to express, the passion to love a place to say what ever i want when i feel like it, A place where i can say lets stand together as one and also fuck you if you cross me

Fave prop or costume:
Fave prop would be a microphone i just love the way it feels in my hand and finger tips.Fave costume would be ripping my shirt off at the end of a hot song or performance.

Thoughts on the LA queer art scene:
The art scene can be what ever you make of it to be, how ever far you decide to go with it and emerce yourself in it, its what you decide to look at look for and your perception of what your seeing

What is your Vision for the Queer Future:
The breaking down of stereo types and the achievement of Equality

What do you see as the future for queer art:
I see queer art continuing to grow and evolve and become more mainstream. I believe on some levels its still an untold story, in itself its progressive, and very beautiful and there is so much talent and creativity living in these kids some how it will change the world.

What are your upcoming plans:
Write now i am just regrouping growing in my own right, living life to the fullest and developing the next step for my music and passion for this style of art and poetry

Sample of Work:
The Truth is in You

Heavy on my mind, Heavy on my time,
Heavy like the weight of the world on I'm,
carrying shoulders like a king, grasping for air,
is this meant for me, who even really cares,
the struggle ain't lifted the smoke it rains thick blocking the sun shining gifted,
believers in the room,
will the doubt consume every positive attitude while I'm speaking through,
this mic and cord,
rapped around my neck is this vocal cord as i spit this tech,
to break down walls making fear disperse, let the gun burst no more no child to hurt,
hold your little baby yes the faith is strong,
frustrating times but the love is long,
long and everlasting is the soul in you,
a warrior you are and the fight ain't through,
the truth

http://youtu.be/E_LYOi6S1FM

http://youtu.be/XqFLwaU7aUo

http://youtu.be/RhjKWoFYyfQ

No comments:

Post a Comment